It’s time to get the lawn mower tuned up because Spring is here and the grass is starting to grow. Lucy’s perennials (notice I said “Lucy’s”, they grow only because of the care God and her give them) are blossoming. New life is budding out all around us. And the temperatures suit me just fine. Don’t you just love Spring?
And I love what God is doing in and through the First Baptist family. Our church has experienced a rough winter, but the ice has just about melted and there are signs of new life. The temperature or atmosphere in our gathered times is very pleasant as God is building trust and unity among us. You can feel it our worship services, you can see it in our business meetings, and you can sense it in the many committee meetings.
Excitement is growing. We’re looking forward more than in reverse. There is expectancy. More emphasis is being placed on prayer and seeking God’s direction and blessing. People are dreaming of what could be. I’m hearing less complaining and more encouragement given. People are talking about “we” more than they are “me”.
Stop and think about a few of the things that are taking place.
- Personnel Committee is deeply involved in determining which staff member(s) we need. Didn’t you appreciate the way they sought our input in the formulation of job descriptions? They will be keeping us informed of their progress in finding God’s individual(s).
- We have a team looking for a Summer Youth Worker. Two very promising candidates have been interviewed. This will be a short term (10 weeks) ministry. Many of our members have contributed money to this adventure already. Each gift is helping us get to our goal of $3,500.
- The Trustees are busy looking after our facilities. They are very conscious of budget concerns and are steadily getting things done efficiently and at a minimum of cost. I love how they are keeping us informed. Their goal is to provide God with useable facilities through which He can do His mighty work.
- Plans are being formulated for a possible playground for our children and an outdoor basketball goal for our youth.
Operation Inasmuch (Saturday, April, 19th) will be giving our church family a beautiful opportunity to work together on various mission projects to reach our community with the love of Jesus.
- The deacons have committed themselves to deeper ministry among our church family. They are keeping each other abreast of needs discovered. They have stepped in recently to seek reconciliation between members.
- We now have a Long Range Planning Ministry (LRPM) who is seeking the Lord for His guidance as they try to move our church into God’s Wonderful Future. They are committed to asking the church body to join them in this joyous adventure, by praying for God’s direction and by participating in our 40 Days of Prayer and Sharing (April 20-May29, 2008). The later will encourage you to meet with 2 other people for 6 weeks (meeting once each week) to pray for our church and to work through a “Dreaming Guide”. The results of your prayer and sharing times will be instrumental to our LRPM as they lead us forward.
New life, springing into God’s Wonderful Future are things I can get pumped up about. I’m also pumped about how you are aiding God’s work in and through our church. Let’s make this journey together with the Lord.
Waiting on the Lord…then Springing into action,